Kadoma Driver Breaks The Internet For Being A ‘Christmas Hero’ Following Mutare Bus Accident!

Since Christmas eve, pictures of a scalded and bruised truck driver from Kadoma, who has been identified as Sirizani Butau, almost broke the internet after they were shared on different social media platforms.

Butau was among the “first responders” to the accident which happened along the Mutare-Harare Highway when a bus collided with a Freightliner on Christmas Eve.

The police have reported that five people died, while more than 20 have been hospitalised.

On a fateful day, Butau was driving another truck when he identified one of the vehicles that had been involved in the fatal crash.

As quoted by The Sunday Mail, Butau said:

“The truck that was involved in the accident was being driven by my colleague and friend. So I rushed and found him still alive, so I tried to save him because I knew that with time the petrol would catch fire, so when I was trying to retrieve him, that is when it caught fire.”

Some people decided to take their smartphones to capture the tragedy but Butau chose the unthinkable.
Sirizani Butau
Sirizani Butau

He rescued eight people from the growing inferno and suffered third-degree burns in the process.

Butau’s images have since gone viral on social media, as many celebrate him as a hero.

Some have started donating towards his hospital bill. Amongst them is Madam Boss who has offered USD $500.

In another interview with Zim Eye, Butau said:

” I did not do what I did to become a hero…I did what I did just to try and save lives, so it’s not about fame or what, so anyone who wishes to exchange their gratitude … can just do so…”

Below are some of the comments on Twitter:

@GutuObert wrote:

” Sirizani Butau is, without a shadow of a doubt, my hero of the year 2021.
Absolutely heroic & selfless. May The Highest increase his portion. “

@daddyhope wrote:

I have read the story of a truck driver who saved lives at yesterday’s tragic bus & truck accident on Mutare Road. Sirizani Butau is the definition of a real Zimbabwean hero. He should walk into any private health facility and be treated for his wounds sustained whilst helping

@mikemadoda wrote:

indoda sibili! A true hero. Sirizani Butau, I salute you sir – you’re a man better than I.

@larry_moyo wrote:

Good morning @ZtaUpdates @chiefkoti My Christmas Box request is that when Sirizani Butau is out of hospital, kindly facilitate for his family to enjoy a weekend’s holiday at a Zim tourist resort of their choice on your account

@MudiwaHood wrote:

Sirizani Butau, National Hero… this is the ubuntu we expect from every citizen. I was just thinking if this man decides to stop driving nursing his wounds, what will his children eat…May our Government honour this man, esp financially and employ him and the fire brigade as Supervisor

@Hon_Kasukuwere wrote:

A hero of our times. Thank you Sirizani Butau for your act of bravery. God bless you.

Read More At The Online Coronavirus Portal Or Use The 24-Hour Public Hotline:
South Africa: 0800 029 999 or just Send Hie to 0600 123 456 on WhatsApp

Africa Metro is a free to use platform and the views and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent, reflect or express the views of Africa Metro. Any/all written content and images displayed are provided by the blogger/author, appear herein as submitted by the blogger/author and are unedited by Africa Metro. Read More Here.